In an effort to offer health plan purchasers and consumers clear and transparent information about health plan performance, the National Business Coalition on Health (NBCH) asks that the following media guidelines be employed when communicating information related to the eValue8 tool and its findings. We know that effective communication requires collaborative and productive relationships between NBCH, coalition members, health plans, and employers engaged in the eValue8 process. In the interest of preserving the integrity of the eValue8 brand and the credibility of its results, we respectfully ask that all parties use the following guidelines when communicating about the tool:
- Materials Review NBCH reserves the right to review any materials using the eValue8 name or logo, including local-market informational or promotional materials, to ensure accurate messaging. It is our intent to turn these materials around within two (2) business days.
- Consistent Information We ask that several key points (included below) be included in local market media materials to ensure consistency of communication about the eValue8 RFI, including but not limited to the use of the eValue8 logo, boilerplate information, and references to the RFI as eValue8, a common Request for Information tool developed by the National Business Coalition on Health.
- National eValue8 Results Materials NBCH will provide approved media materials and a supply of completed press kits on the national eValue8 results to local market teams for reference and use in local market media relations.
- Regional and Local Market Results Materials Regional and local health plans and coalitions will provide completed and approved electronic press releases to NBCH for use in distribution to national and vertical media as appropriate. Media contact names from local markets will remain on these materials.
- Timing/Handling of Media Announcements For greatest communication impact, we ask that local announcements be closely coordinated and timed to follow any national announcements by NBCH. NBCH will look to local coalitions to communicate on behalf of all local market participants and other organizations, or consultants, are asked not to speak with media unless specifically requested to do so.
- National Media NBCH will handle all national media contact with respect to eValue8 results, working in conjunction and collaboration with member coalitions in local markets as needed. The intent is to:
- a. Streamline media contact to avoid multiple practitioners calling about the same story to national and vertical outlets.
- b. Present a uniform message and cohesive effort to media (in which national and local market messages and spokespeople are presented).
- c. Issue national announcement followed by and in parallel with local market launch/es.
- Regional & Local Market Media Local coalitions are responsible for outreach to media and organizations in their local market or region, unless otherwise arranged by NBCHs Communications staff. They are encouraged to create locally specific materials, and we ask that the national press kit be used along with local materials to ensure consistency of message whenever possible.
- Media Strategy Carly McKeon, Director of Membership and Communications for NBCH, Cary Conway of Conway Communication (on behalf of NBCH), Dennis White, Senior Vice President of Value Based Purchasing for NBCH, and the eValue8 Steering Committee will strategize with respective public relations teams in local markets to discuss national messaging, roll-out, timing, contacts, pitching and interview facilitation.
We ask that all local market materials include the following points and information defining eValue8 and positioning local market efforts as part of a larger national program:
- eValue8 is a health plan performance evaluation process and Request for Information instrument owned and maintained by the National Business Coalition on Health.
- eValue8 is the leading evidence based request for information tool available to health care purchasers today and is widely used by business health coalitions, their purchaser members and national employers to assess and manage the quality of their health care vendors.
- (optional) eValue8 provides up-to-date information that drives value based purchasing. The eValue8 tool uses a standard annual request for information survey to gather hundreds of benchmarks in critical areas such as the adoption of health information technology; member and provider communication and support; disease management; prevention and health promotion; provider performance measurement, transparency, and rewards; patient safety; pharmaceutical management; and behavioral health.
eValue8 is an evidenced-based survey tool created by business coalitions and employers like Marriott and General Motors, to measure and evaluate health plan performance. eValue8 asks health plans probing questions about how they manage critical processes that:
- control costs
- reduce and eliminate waste
- ensure patient safety
- close gaps in care
- improve health and health care
Health plans provide detail on how they educate, engage and incent consumers to promote health and manage disease, as well as measure and pay providers. Plans and purchasers receive objective scores enabling comparison of plans against regional and national benchmarks and a roadmap for improvement. As a result of face-to-face discussion of findings and roadmap, plans learn what they need to do to align their strategies with purchaser expectations to maximize the value of the health care investment and ultimately, improve health and quality of care.